1. Why did you choose LSE and the programme?

In my senior year of university I remember very clearly approaching a professor after a lecture on Aristotle’s ethics. I was double majoring in philosophy and sociology, and told the professor I was stuck in deciding whether to apply to graduate programs in philosophy or political economy. His reply was that if I was struggling to choose between the two, I should look at the LSE for its strengths in philosophy of social science. In short, I did, and immediately knew I had to apply. Being interested in analytical analysis of social inquiry, it was the best of both worlds for me!

2. Which aspects of your studies were the most beneficial for your professional as well as personal development?

A major recurring theme in my courses was the role of science (natural and social) in a democratic society. I am about to begin a year-long paid internship at the Department of Energy in the US, and strongly believe that the LSE program prepared me well to engage in policy spheres related to science and technology, which are of fundamental importance for the proper functioning of today’s societies.

3. What is your fondest memory of your time here?

The friends that I made, and our time arguing about science and social policy stands out. The opportunity to meet so many people from such diverse backgrounds who share a passion for intellectual engagement was invaluable. The mixture of rigorous analytical work and the ability to form bonds with peers who share your interests while having fun (there are a whole lot of opportunities for this important part) is fertile ground for making excellent memories.

4. Why would you recommend studying at LSE and the Philosophy department in particular?

If you are interested in philosophy and one or more of the sciences, the LSE is the place to study. The orientation of the philosophy department is distinctive in its focus on the sciences and policy, and the courses are cutting edge, given they are taught by world leading experts. The possibilities to meet and engage with smart, driven and passionate individuals, both in and outside of the department, is remarkable.

5. Your LSE experience in your own words:

My experience was incredibly rich, both intellectually and socially. My year in London was anecdotally the best yet, and I will always be grateful for my experiences with the friends I made, my cohort, my advisor and professors.