1. Why did you choose LSE and the programme?

As someone passionately interested in the philosophical questions around science, my bachelor’s degree in physical sciences left me wanting more. At that point, I knew I wanted to pursue a master’s programme in philosophy of science, and LSE was a natural choice. The programme offered modules that perfectly aligned with my interests, and the faculty’s expertise was precisely what I needed to advance my goals. In retrospect, I am sure that this choice was the best academic decision I ever made!

2. Which aspects of your studies were the most beneficial for your professional as well as personal development?

Although there are many, if I had to pick one, it would be the skill to communicate with clarity. In seminar discussions and academic essays, all of my professors emphasized the need to formulate thoughts clearly and articulate them with clarity. Although initially, this was slightly daunting, over time, I recognized how important effective communication was to any academic discipline, and to philosophy, in particular. Over time, I was able to slowly, but steadily, develop this ability. Very often, you notice that this skill is a boon in your personal and professional conversations.

3. What is your fondest memory of your time here?

The most memorable part of life at LSE was the everyday conversations with people. Whether over coffee or lunch, we would start with small talk, often complaining about the London weather (as you should), before ending up with existential dread about our precarious lives (as you also should being a philosophy person). Departmental parties and gatherings are also great fun because they give you time to spill some departmental tea directly with your professors. Looking back, these moments are what I would cherish the most!

4. Why would you recommend studying at LSE and the Philosophy department in particular?

The people. It is difficult to imagine from the outside how academically diverse the department is, with students from virtually every background – physicists, sociologists, economists, mathematicians, biologists, and, of course, philosophers. With all of these people in your classroom, you are bound to learn something new in every single discussion. The faculty are also similarly experts in multiple fields and actively engage with the non-philosopher community. As some philosophers of science would say, the more perspectives, the better the knowledge – definitely the best reason to choose this department!

5. Your LSE experience in your own words:

As John Worrall recollects about his time as a student here, it truly was ‘the intellectual event of my life’. The time spent at LSE, particularly in the philosophy department, has profoundly shaped my intellectual and personal pursuits. But perhaps, most importantly, always grateful for the friends and memories made during this truly extraordinary phase of life!